Monday 19 November 2012

Confession of a shopaholic.

Okay. So I have a confession to make. 

Great restraint only goes so far, and I have already suffered a setback in my 'recovery' from being a shopaholic. 

I sat pining for days over these loafer heals from Marais. They are currently 50% off, and I have a weakness for both brogues/oxfords/loafers and the like, and a good deal. I would have bought them had it not been for the exorbitantly steep shipping charges attached to special deliveries north of the US border. $40, to be precise! It was just enough to put on the breaks and instead of clicking checkout, I let them sit open in my browser, taunting...tempting... torturing me, for the next 4 or 5 days.

I closed the browser window yesterday, finally. However, the real confession I have to make is the purchase that did materialize: sitting in a neighboring browser next to this suppressed obsession, sat something a smidgen more practical. The root of the problem lies in my neglect to define rules for this undertaking. The original statement described a "clothes diet"; technically speaking, this precludes shoes, jewelry, bags, scarves and other accessories. (An additional matter of contention was my previously agreed upon plans with my best friend to co-host a Stella and Dot party. We made these plans in August, so really I couldn't go back on my word with that one. I'll return to this in a bit).

The confession: I hear by admit to purchasing some cheap skinny belts, and a pair of black dress shoes.

In all honestly, my black flats at present are more than 7 years old, and are literally starting to fall to pieces. Really, they can only still be called shoes by definition of what they appear to be, and not by the service they provide (or lack thereof). To successfully remix my clothes for an entire year, I really did need a pair of versatile black shoes. I explained this to my husband and he chuckled. I stand by my rationalization though! I bought some basic coloured skinny belts for the same reason; to mix and match I am going to need some of the accessories I have been brushing aside in lieu of spending all budgeted personal spending pennies on clothes!

So here it is. The Doctrine of a Non-shopping Year:

Thou shalt refrain from purchasing new and used articles of clothing, outdoor footwear, accessories of which include hats, hair accessories, scarves, belts, tights and anything else that might purpose itself in 'completing a look.'
*Caveat: if an item that is used frequently, that is also of great value to providing variety in remixing, were to break or rip or become nonfunctional due to something incidental (ie run in the tights), the original item may be replaced, so long as it approximates the essence of the original item.

Permitted are undergarments and socks as needed, pajamas, and with regard to the Stella and Dot party: remuneration may be accepted, and thereafter, the Non-Shopping Year begins. 

Kapeesh?

---

Kapeesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment