Sunday 25 November 2012

The uniform.



Many fashion bloggers describe and exhibit what might be articulated as their "uniform," from time to time. This tends to entail intermittent posts exemplifying a pattern of sorts, whether it be a particular style or silhouette, or a theme of certain colours and/or pieces.

Cardi and jeans: thrifted

Personally, my "uniform" is apt to pop up when I plain and simple cannot decide what to wear.  Almost subconsciously, it pieces itself together, and it comes so naturally that it is almost effortless. (Instant relief from what-to-wear block).  



Which leads me to - What is my "uniform"?

I really didn't start to define my style until after high school. I guess this makes sense as most of us just try to stay afloat in the "fitting in" fashion pool, during that stage of our lives. Anyway, after high school my fashion took a dip down the bohemian aisle, of only thrift stores, specifically. This look started to transform, (or perhaps 'mature' - as my mother would likely say) around 6 or 7 years ago. I like to think the influence of the boho look can still be seen, although subtle. I have been caught saying: "If dread-locks were professional, I'd likely still have them!"



More specifically, the Kim-uniform is a combination of fall colours: always a brown, often with green and the more than occasional splash of orange. Wooden jewelries are first in line for accessory potentials, and when the scarf trend hit in ~2007 here, I adopted that as part of the ensemble as well. In fact, today I started with the scarf and built the outfit up from there. 


Necklace: little store in Forio, Ischia, Italy

Even on days where the entirety of the uniform hasn't manifested, cardigans are probably the most prominent item in my wardrobe. 

The cardigans

*I just counted, and there are over 20 of them!

Earrings: Ten Thousand Villages

Scarf: outside the Duomo in Florence Italy

This scarf has a funny story, actually. I had to purchase it when we went to the Duomo, as mentioned in the caption. Not thinking, I wore shorts and a sleeveless top that day. Correction: I was half thinking, as I brought one scarf with me in my day's belongings to cover up my shoulders for entrance into the Duomo. I failed to realize I'd need something to transform my bottom half into something more conservative as well. Luckily, I found something close by, at a good price, that is even deemed "uniform" worthy!



After mentioning Italy and especially the Duomo, I am unable to resist the urge to sneak a couple photos into this post. 

Shopping in Florence

Duomo at night

Duomo by day, view from the Bell Tower
Inside, floor level

Well worth the 463 spiral steps to the top!


No comments:

Post a Comment